1. Decide on the number of guests before you book your venue
2. Double check the world cup or any other big event isn't happening on the same date (you want all the attention on you after all!).
3. Don't just consider the weather when choosing your date. Other things you may need to consider is fly breeding season, the pollen count and if you want to catch the sun set... make sure you have enough time in the day to be able to catch it etc.
4. Plan ahead for your budget. Other things may cost more, or less than you expect. Check prices on everything before you book your venue.
5. Don't be afraid to ask. Ask everything and anything. Question everyone, its your day, it has to be perfect.
6. Prepare for rejection. Suppliers tend to get booked up 2 years in advance... start your planning early to avoid disappointment.
7. Consider where your guests will be able to stay nearby should they need to. Otherwise, they may not be able to attend!
8. Where possible, make sure you and your venue have a plan B for everything. e.g. if you're having an outdoor wedding have a back up indoor space... Just in case.
9. Have a good chat (INTERROGATE THEM!) with the coordinator who will be helping to organise your day. It is essential that they have a lot of experience and are passionate about their job. So many couples are left with a sour taste due to the coordinator!
10. Get wedding insurance.